Angelo Trofa doesn’t simply design beautiful kits, he’s also a very skillful illustrator.
Angelo graduated from Salford University, in England, where he studied graphic design and illustration. His studies allowed him to work on project briefs that involved both graphic design and illustration, which enabled him to develop a process that combines both disciplines.
Questions for Angelo:
- How old were you when you started to draw?
- Since I can remember, its the thing I enjoyed doing most when I was a kid. Drawing comic book heroes, and Dennis the Menace.
- Why did you start illustrating football kits?
- From when I first started following football, I have always been interested in design on every level. Football kits are always changing, and I look at them more like a functioning piece of design, it serves a purpose, and is meant to look good. I think this combination, as well as the fact that it has such a tribal nature attached to it really intrigues me.
Also, find out how to win a printed copy of Football Strip Concept III at the end of this post.
Kit and typographic treatments:
eMagazine: Football Strip Concept Design III
See all Magazines: angelotrofa.co.uk
A couple more questions:
- Who is your favorite team/player?
- I have supported Inter Milan since I was very young, but for me my love of football comes from watching Christian Vieri play. Its the only time I can remember watching a player over my team. Luckily for me he spent 6 years at Inter.
- What’s your favorite kit design?
- There are too many to pick from,
but if i was to pick 6 they would include:
1) Cameroon’s sleeveless kit in 2001.
2) UNAM Pumas, Club de Fútbol Universidad Nacional A. C. from the mid-70s to ’91, always had the most simple but iconic kits.
3) France Nike Away ‘La Marinere’ 2011, will go down as a classic for me.
4) Grêmio Foot-Ball Porto Alegrense 1985 Kit.
5) Kappa Kombat kits from 2000 complete game changer in football kits, New fabrics, new shape, new collar designs, great name and numbering.
6) Italy will never look better than they did in 2002.